Sunday, August 22, 2010

Z = Zoo

I guess I've been putting off posting this one, the very last one. Z = zoo was completed on time but my reluctance to let go of 26 Weeks stopped me from writing up my final entry. Sounds silly I know, I've always been a little sentimental, it's just a little sad to know I've come to the end of the journey and what a journey it's been. Not only around this unbelievably amazing City I call home but also in proving to myself that I could actually do it. Each and every week. Hangovers, exhaustion, snow or rain couldn't stop the 26 Weeks mission and I would do it all over again.

So the final installment is Zoo, the Bronx Zoo in fact. We'd made it to every borough in NYC apart from the Bronx so it was fitting that this last one would round off our 360 tour. On a scorching hot day we made the journey all the way up and into the Zoo. It's a great zoo as far as zoos go, if I'd rented a kid for a day it would probably have been even better but as far as I know rent-a-kid doesn't exist yet in the City where you pretty much can get anything your heart desires and then some. Afterwards we walked over to Arthur Avenue, the supposed real "Little Italy" of New York. It's a small street but authentic, some mafioso types sitting around eating big bowls of spaghetti, great bread, meats and cheese shops. We stopped for a little bruschetta and raised a cold glass to 26 Weeks of pure adventure because that's really the only way to describe it.....a bloody brilliant adventure.

I hope you enjoyed reading it and I hope you were inspired to try out one or all of the letters yourself. Most of all thanks for all the support, feedback and tuning in each week.

Lastly, to Simon - my partner in crime, I couldn't have done it without you. You're my inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment