Thursday, July 15, 2010

V = Venezuelan

A solo mission this time to Caracas in the East Village for a taste of Venezuelan yumminess.

After living close by for years I'd never been and boy was I missing out.

Yum yummadee yum is all I can say.

I sat up at the bar, ordered a little Argentinian Los Alamos Chardonnay and the ceviche special to start. Ridiculously good, fresh light and just the right amount of lime juice and cilantro to get the tastebuds going. Ceviche in my mind is as good as a detox, it gives you the same cleansing, healthy, I'm virtuous feeling. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Next up.....Arepas! Caracas makes theirs from scratch daily, they're crispy on the outside and soft and spongy in the middle and filled with pretty much anything. Sort of like a smaller, heavier, doughier, pita. I went for one stuffed with shredded chicken, onions, guacamole, spicy white cheese and jalapenos. You have to pick it up like a sandwich and stuff it into your mouth, it drips on your hands and oozes around your mouth, it's not pretty but who cares it's so damn tasty (unless you're on a first date).

All this for about $20.

There's a hundred or so other Arepas and dishes on the menu but I was full to the brim so many visits are required. What a hardship.

There's a Caracas Arepa Bar in Williamsburg now too that also has Roneria, a special rum bar within, it's been added to the to do list.

Not as good as the real taste of Venezuela but good enough.

Tip: don't go on the weekends unless you like to wait in line for over an hour.

Only 4 more letters to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment