Saturday, May 8, 2010

P = Poetry

On a Tuesday night we ventured to the Bowery Poetry Cafe for Urbana, the weekly poetry slam.

While I appreciate poetry and have been known to add a little ditty into a birthday card here or there, I'm not an active poetry lover so this was a little night out from the norm for me.

We arrived to a packed out room, found the bar, grabbed a bevvie and squeezed into a spot. I had no idea what was about to greet me and wow was I greeted.

What ensued was an amazing line-up of ridiculously impressive, highly entertaining poets battling it out on stage. Sort of a cross between 8 Mile and The Moth.

It was frenetic, a bit crazy at times, funny, sad, shocking and we loved it. One lady talked about her self loathing in such a moving way I welled up a little, another lady was angry, shouting and rhyming about everything she's got it in for in an incredibly funny way. One guy was so fast and melodic telling his political woes, it was almost like he was rapping.

Hugely talented poets just up there doing there thing, no fear, just putting it out there. It was a sight to see.

Urbana has won the national poetry slam award many a time and I can see why, definitely worth checking out if you find yourself free on a Tuesday night. It's only $7 entry so you'll have plenty of pennies left to grab a bevvie at The Bowery Hotel or Madame Geneva next door, two of my all time faves.

No comments:

Post a Comment