Monday, February 8, 2010

E = Ellis Island

Three words for this week's experience....ticked.the.box.

Not much to report this week. A very cold but fun ferry ride over to Ellis Island - a place I felt I should visit as I live in New York - followed by a short and sweet trip around the Museum. A lot of interesting facts to be found, including one quote that stood out to me from a lady that travelled through Ellis Island, she described the place as a Maternity Dept / Mental Asylum due to the sheer number of babies, kids and mental patients held there while trying to travel through, not the best combination some might say.

My own personal takeaway was that Immigration has, of course, improved a LOT, however U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services if you're out there, waiting for what seems like a lifetime in an incredibly overheated Immigration Hall and then being grilled by a gruff dude behind the desk every time I return to this country on a British visa could perhaps be improved a wee bit? Just saying.

Next week F = Firecracker Display in Chinatown. 500,000 people apparently and a lot of noise.



No comments:

Post a Comment