Saturday, January 16, 2010

B = ballet

Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-crossed lovers take their life….
-William Shakespeare

Week two and last night we went to see the most famous romantic tragedy of all time, Romeo and Juliet by New York City Ballet, at the Lincoln Center on New York’s Upper West Side.

Having not been to the ballet since I was very little, this qualified as something new (adult life new) and New York new (the burlesque show involving a cross-dressing ballerina seen two summers ago in Coney Island definitely does not count). The Lincoln Center www.lincolncenter.org is an incredible production in itself, the atrium is full of lights in crystal button shapes, almost like the whole place has been done with a bedazzler and an outside terrace overlooking the spectacular courtyard perfect for a pre-show glass of champagne.

The sound system is out of this world amazing, the orchestra is phenomenal, conducted by the teeniest tiniest lady ever. Juliet twizzles around on her toes so effortlessly, a small bendy creature that can be whipped up into the air without a second thought, moving about the stage in a supernatural way. My fave characters by far were Lord and Lady Capulet, graceful in a slightly more grown-up way, and I loved how Lady Capulet’s costume resembled a giant purple butterfly. Scene VI – The Tomb scene didn’t disappoint and while I had a little tear I thought how strange it was that unwanted arranged marriages still go on today and how sad that there’s probably a modern-day Romeo & Juliet out there somewhere. While I was impressed and moved throughout I don’t think everyone was, the big fatty next to me managed to sleep throughout both Acts, pausing only to adjust his snoring when nudged by his long-suffering and diminutive wife, the mind boggles.

One other people observation to report, a new sighting for me, a woman in her 40s had created an exact mini-me in her 12 year old daughter. Identical skirt, cardigan, tights, shoes, broach, even the haircut was exactly the same. Cloning retro style perhaps.

As for blagging it backstage, I failed last night, however I met a lovely lady who’s given me a name and number of someone who she thinks can help me, I have to call her on Tuesday. My backstage dream, unlike the ill-fated lovers, is still alive.

So if you’re thinking of buying tickets and seeing the performance yourself, definitely do, it’s worth every penny. Fellas take a date, I know it’s cliché but it simply will work.

ps: If you want to pop for a bite beforehand I’d recommend Landmarc just down the street www.landmarc-restaurant.com, great food (chopped salad is excellent and they give you wonderful chewy caramels when at the end) speedy service and fabulous wines at very reasonable prices (the Landmark Vineyard Californian Chardonnay is excellent).

9 comments:

  1. Actually the fatty was sitting next to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Landmarc. And, I'm sorry the backstage didn't work out, but I'd like to remind you that we went Broadway backstage together at Wicked. But never at the Ballet - and I hope it works out. So resourceful you are. Looking forward to C...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We met the tinman no? Impossible to beat that. C needs to be big x

    ReplyDelete
  4. how about Cycle ride to Coney Island or cycle ride anywhere really but you get a double C here!? i know Coney ISland is shut but it's beautifully eerie in winter. The bike ride down is also quite something as you go through some great little neighbourhoods and could meet some amazing characters. Once you're there you can go for a russian lunch on brighton beach .Jo I love it! bloody brilliant. I am tempted to do a london one. be a good way to re-introduce myself to the city.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome! Looking forward to C... and the rest of the next 24! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Boq...(SPOILER ALERT) aka the tin man. I loved that night...including broadway karaoke, if memory serves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely nuanced observations. Favorite 'b' words used: bedazzler, bendy, & blagging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great stuff jo -- we look forward to the weeekly entertainment -- loved the people observations

    eddie & helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fatty was you Simon, come on, admit it.

    ReplyDelete